Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The (not so secret) Olympic Equation


I remember back when I was watching the opening ceremonies, I bet my wife that China would end up with 49 gold medals. In the end it was 51 with some gymnastics controversy, so I’m going to pretend I was bang-on (kidding). The U.S. won the overall medal count which was also no surprise to most people... but how do they do it? The U.S. is said to be the most overweight , sedentary and unhealthy countries in the world. We (Canadians) like to think we are so active and healthy, but childhood obesity is steadily increasing for many years now.

So what’s the equation for Olympic success?

POPULATION SIZE
+ FUNDING + the athletes = Olympic Success

Joking aside, I realize I’m not the first person to come up with this, as almost anyone involved with sports at any level is aware of this. I just felt the urge to write it down. And it’s because of this reality, that I am most inspired by the Olympic athletes that make it with very little support.

No comments: